At John Burns Primary School, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background.
We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and are able to participate fully in school life. We aim to provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed, and to reach the highest level of personal achievement.
Our vision and values ensure that every pupil and teacher is given an equal opportunity to achieve their potential. We tackle discrimination through positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At John Burns Primary School, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
- Do our best to ensure that everyone is treated fairly and with respect.
- Make sure the school is a safe, secure and stimulating place for everyone
- Recognise that people have different needs and understand that treating people equally does not always involve treating them all exactly the same
- Recognise that for some people extra support is needed to help them to achieve and be successful
- Do our best to make sure that people from different groups are consulted and involved in our decisions, for example through talking with pupils and parents and carers, and through our School Council.